This is a segment of a Japanese print by Keisai Masayoshi. The print was made in 1787 and depicts The Golden Pavilion or Kinkakuji (金閣寺) in Kyoto.
Here it is today, captured by the opening and closing of a camera shutter.
The top two floors are covered in gold leaf. The temple has had several iterations since it was first constructed in the late 14th century as a villa for the Shogun, Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. There have been several destructive fires over time. Today’s building was completed in 1955, replacing the one burned down by a Buddhist monk in 1950.